Quranic schools (Kuttab) were the only form of education in Bahrain
at the beginning of this century. They are traditional schools
aimed at teaching children and youth the reading of the Holy Quran.
Many people of Bahrain had felt that this type of education did
not fulfil the academic efficiency that match with the spirit
of age. After the First World War, things have been changed and
Bahrain became widely open upon the modern western renaissance.
Political and social changes have occurred in the country that
caused the rise of social and cultural awareness among people.
Due to all these, a demand for modern educational institutions
different from (Kuttab) has appeared in terms of system, curricula
Before 1919, a number of prominent citizens in Muharraq Island
had discussed and agreed to establish a modern formal school.
A number of the Royal people (Shaikhs) has endorsed this call
and contributed for this project.
1919 marked the beginning of modern public school system in Bahrain.
Al-Hidaya Al-Khalifia school for boys was opened at the northern
tip of Muharraq. The first Committee of Education consisted of
several leading merchants and was presided over by the late Shaikh
Abdulla bin Isa Al-Khalifa who was popularly known as 'the Minister
of Education'. He was also responsible for the management of Al-Hidaya
In 1926, the Education Committee has opened the second public
school for boys at Manama.
In 1928 the first public school for girls was opened at Muharraq.
Due to the financial and administrative difficulty faces by the
Education Committee, the schools came under the direct control
of the government in 1930.